While most of us are familiar with the concept of lasers and physical therapy, only a few of us actually have an idea about the vast range of the treatments lasers provide. People often prefer Exercise, Physiotherapy, Ayurveda and Naturopathy to cure their ailments but thought of laser therapy never cross their minds.
Though, lasers may still sound like a technology of present & future but, the reality is otherwise. In fact, lasers are being used to accelerate the process of healing for nearly 5 decades now, starting in 1967. Professor Endre Mester, a Hungarian physician used lasers for the first time to treat cancer. Today, this undervalued tech is gaining momentum in the healthcare sector facilitating healthy recovery to people facing a number of health problems.
Low-Level Laser Therapy: How does it work?
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is a form of alternative medicine that applies low power lasers to the apertures of the body. LLLT has proven to be a highly effective procedure in treating a vast range of conditions, musculoskeletal injuries, degenerative diseases, joint replacement, rehabilitation, and certain dermatological conditions. It is also known as Red Light Therapy. It uses low-energy light emitting diodes (LEDs) or lasers to promote good cell functions. Unlike high power lasers which can damage tissues, LLLT is effective in applications such as speeding up wound healing and lowering pain in diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
During the procedure, different wavelengths of low-level light are applied directly to a targeted area. The body tissue then absorbs the light and the red and near-infrared light cause a reaction, the damaged cells respond with a physiological reaction, which stimulates regeneration. Although the laser device can be felt on the skin, the procedure is painless and noninvasive. There is usually no sound, no vibration or heat. Each treatment typically takes only a few minutes.
LLLT and Its Multidimensional Benefits
Doctors, dentists, physical therapists, and other medical professionals use low-level laser therapy in a variety of ways. It is the most preferred mode of treatment among the patients who are seeking a treatment without the use of surgery or drugs. LLLT and thermal therapies have gained accreditation amongst people facing muscle tear, bone issues, cancer treatment due to its below-mentioned benefits:
• Tissue Repair: LLLT has been found very effective to boost wound healing, tissue repair & skin revitalization. It processes the regeneration of fibroblasts and modulation of immune cells which positively affect skin cells.
• Boost Immunity & Diminish the Side Effects of Cancer Treatment: LLLT can effectively reduce the pain & side effects during chemotherapy. LLLT speeds up the process of cell healing which certainly helps to increase the immunity of the patient. This technology is now being used in the treatment of tumors & ulcers.
• Anti-Aging & Hair Loss: This is the most popular use of LLLT among the masses. LLLT improves the elasticity of collagen fibers and creates new capillaries. The presence of capillaries in the skin increases the blood flow to the skin tissues which leads to the oxidation of skin cells. This reverses the effect of aging on the skin, ceding a youthful skin.
• Weight Loss: LLLT can speed up the process of weight loss. The way in which it increases the energy production of mitochondria and circulation, more glucose is converted in the body, which aids in weight loss. But a healthy diet and regular exercise is a must with the combination of LLLT.
• Improve Joint and Musculoskeletal Health: Due to its potency of stimulating collagen production & curing cartilage, LLLT has now become an important tool to treat arthritis. It increases blood flow & cellular Rejuvenation which improve tissue and joint health. Those who don’t have arthritis but suffering from the issues of tissue damage can be benefitted from LLLT.
The Future of Low-Level Laser Therapy
With its wide range of applications, Low-Level Laser Therapy has gained acceptance widely. LLLT has become a game changer in the world of medicine and healing. But still, people are very skeptical about the side effects of LLLT, hence, avoid taking the treatment. The procedure is quick, painless and comparatively cheap. With the ever-increasing demand for painless and quick recovery, LLLT is becoming the first choice of people aware of this amazing medtech. The need of the hour is generating public awareness about the benefits of LLLT and Thermal Therapy, and facilitating the treatments to the wider audience.
(Mr. Ali Asif- Managing Director- GakSung World)