You must have watched advertisement commercials on television where people come too close to each other in a metro train and literally blow air into each other’s mouth and the world becomes all fresh and cool.. Yeah, that is only possible when you don’t have a stinking mouth with bad breath because then the scene might become quite the opposite.
Bad breath odors vary, depending on the source or the underlying cause of it. Some people tend to worry a lot about their bad breath, even though they have a little or no bad odor coming from their mouth. While on the other hand, some people really have an intense bad breath, but unfortunately, they have no idea about it. To check whether you have bad breath or not, you should keep your hand on your nose and mouth and breathe. You will be able to smell if there is any odor coming from the mouth. If you are uncertain, you can also ask a relative or close friend or family member to check it for you. Consulting a dental professional to check whether the bad breath is an issue for you or not, is also a good idea.
CAUSES OF BAD BREATH
- Sometimes called halitosis, bad breath is usually caused by poor oral hygiene habits.
- Another reason might be the infections that occur in the mouth.
- Unhealthy habits, such as smoking or alcohol intake can also cause bad breath.
- There are some foods that you enjoy eating, (for example garlic and onions) that might also cause bad breath.
- Medical issues such as gum diseases, diabetes, dry mouth, sinus or throat infections, lung infections, kidney or liver failure, and gastrointestinal issues also play a major role in causing bad breath.
- Plaque bacteria builds around the gum line and back of the tongue when there is an absence of complete oral hygiene. This plaque bacteria causes the mouth to stink.
TIPS TO GET RID OF BAD BREATH
- The most important step is to use a mouthwash. Pick a mouthwash that is designed to kill bad breath germs as well as odor-causing compounds, which are present in certain kinds of food.
- I cannot stress more on the fact that drinking lots and lots of water can do wonders for your body. You should keep yourself hydrated at all times. You should limit your intake of caffeinated or aerated drinks, as well as sugary or acidic juices.
- To minimize bad breath in the morning, brush twice a day, floss regularly and use a mouthwash that kills bad breath germs.
HOME REMEDIES FOR BAD BREATH
There are many over – the – counter medications available to treat bad breath, but according to Vaidyanath, the most effective ones will always be home remedies, from your own kitchen. Let’s take a closer look at some of them :
- PINEAPPLE JUICE
- Pineapple juice is the quickest and the most effective treatment for bad breath
- Drink a glass of organic pineapple juice after every meal.
- You can also chew on one or two slices of pineapple daily, for one or two minutes, to improve your bad breath.
- Do not forget to rinse your mouth after the intake of pineapple because it contains sugary substances that might harm your teeth and gums.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties that play an important role in reducing halitosis. It also helps in restoring the pH balance of the mouth.
- Mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar (ACV) to 1 glass of cold water.
- Keep this solution in your mouth.
- Use this as a mouthwash and gargle for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with plain water.
- Repeat the same steps in the morning, when you wake up as well as at night, before going to sleep, for best results.
- COCONUT OIL
Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. These properties can be used to keep the mouth healthy and bacteria free.
- Take one tablespoon of pure, virgin coconut oil.
- Swish the coconut oil around in your mouth for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spit it out.
- Use lukewarm water and rinse your mouth with it.
- Repeat the same process every day until the bad breath vanishes from your mouth.
- EPSOM SALT
Epsom salt is the most commendable ingredient when it comes to removing toxins from the mouth. It also contains natural antibacterial properties that fight oral bacteria and banishes odor from the mouth.
- Take 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt and mix it with one glass of lukewarm water.
- Gargle with the solution.
- Try and do this routine every day, initially. After a while, you can start doing it alternatively.
- FENNEL SEEDS
Fennel seeds are an intrinsic part of the Indian culinary culture. They are extremely effective in solving halitosis issues effectively. It helps in freshening your breath and also takes care of any infections that may be the reason that causes bad breath.
- Take one teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Chew on the fennel seeds and ingest them.
- Later on, rinse your mouth well.
- You can use this remedy as and when is required.
Ginger has antimicrobial properties present in it. These properties help in eliminating bad odor as well as treats different types of oral and throat infections.
- Blend the ginger in a mixer to extract its juice.
- Take one teaspoon of ginger juice and mix it with one glass of warm water.
- Use it as a mouthwash, and rinse your mouth with it.
- Do this after every meal and later on, you can reduce it to doing it once in a few days
If you are suffering from bad breath, don’t lose hope. There are so many treatments available right in your kitchen shelf. You just have to look through them, to laugh, smile and talk openly without any fear of embarrassment.