Everybody knows what sneezing is. What we do not know is, why does it happen? And what makes it happen. Sneezing happens, when your body decided to remove irritating particles or unwanted elements from your nose and throat. It is a very powerful, involuntary expulsion of air. Sneezing often happens suddenly and without any warning. Until of course, you are suffering from a cold. Then it becomes a continuous, irritating process. The scientific term given to sneezing is “ sternutation “. While sneezing can be quite frustrating and annoying, it is not usually the result of any serious health problem.
CAUSES OF SNEEZING
Sneezing is caused when the mucous and the membranes of the nose and the throat, gets irritated. It can bother a person, a lot. But it is rarely a sign of a serious problem.
Sneezing can be caused due to the following reasons :
- Allergy to pollen; also known as hay fever, mold, dander, and dust.
- Breathing in certain compounds called corticosteroids. These compounds may be present in certain nasal spray.
- Common cold or flu causes sneezing.
- Drug withdrawal symptoms take part in causing sneezing too.
- Our nasal passages and membranes can be triggered by various things, such as :
- air pollution.
- dry air.
- spicy foods.
- strong emotions
- certain medicines
PRO TIPS AT AVOIDING SNEEZING
Sneezing is a reaction that is not fully, but partially controllable. Therefore, studies suggest that it is possible to delay, or even stop a sneeze before it occurs.
Here are a few different ways, that might be possible to delay or stop sneezing :
- TREATING ALLERGIES
Treating allergies is the most recommended and marvelous way to prevent sneezing. Sneezes caused by allergy often occur in clusters of two to three. One must identify what allergens trigger the reaction. Once it is identified, a person might be able to avoid the allergen that causes it and prevent sneezing as a result of exposure to the allergen.
There may be times when it is impossible to avoid the allergen, however.
In these situations, people might be able to control their reaction to the allergen by using over-the-counter medications that can help allergic reactions.
- LEARNING TRIGGERS
Different things may cause someone to sneeze. Some of these factors may be easy to spot and avoid. Learning what factors cause sneezing can help people avoid it.
- spices, such as pepper
- bright lights
- spicy food
- cold virus
- baking flour
- COMBAT WITH WATER :
- Water hydrates you and prevents sneezing triggered by dried nasal passages.
- Drink a glass of lukewarm water.
- Water flushes out the toxins, cleanses the body and offers relief.
- You can even wash your face with water when sneezing.
- I really don’t know how it works, but it has quite often helped me get out of the sneezing spells.
- KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN :
- Clean your hands with soap and warm water as soon as you return home.
- This will prevent germs and dust from coming into contact with your nose and trigger sneezing if you are allergic to dust or other chemicals.
- You can also use a chemical and fragrance-free sanitizer, at regular intervals, for keeping the triggers aloof.
HOME REMEDIES FOR SNEEZING
Above all the other precautions, there are an ample amount of home remedies available to treat sneezing. Let’s go through a few of them :
As with a congested nose, ginger does a good job in slowing down your sneezing episodes. This is a very effective home remedy for sneezing. It has antihistaminic properties. These properties prevent the airways from contracting and thereby, eases sneezing.
How to use :
- You can consume the ginger in its raw form if you can.
- Another alternative way is mix ginger slices with honey and prepares it into a concoction.
- Swallow it immediately.
- Another method is to take a few freshly cut ginger slices.
- Boil one cup of hot water.
- Put the ginger slices into hot water.
- Let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix a little honey, if you want to.
- Consume this hot flavored ginger tea, while it’s still warm.
- FENNEL SEEDS
Ward off the sneezing triggered by your upper respiratory tract infection with fennel seeds. Fennel seeds have antibiotic, antiseptic, and antihistaminic properties. They soothe down the contractions that take place in the nasal passageway and prevents sneezing.
How to use :
- Take a handful of dry and roasted fennel seeds.
- Use them with ginger to soothe down the upcoming sneeze attack.
- Another alternative method is to, take two teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds.
- Put them in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the water.
- Sweeten your fennel tea with a little honey, if you wish.
- Sip the brewed tea while it’s still warm.
- The following recipe will give you immediate relief.
- PETROLEUM JELLY
This is another home remedy that has been used since ancient times. It is well tried and tested on adults as well as kids.
How to use :
- Take a little dollop of petroleum jelly on your fingers.
- Make sure that you have clean hands.
- Apply the petroleum jelly inside the nasal passages.
- It will moisturize the dried passages.
- Thus, preventing sneezing.
- FENUGREEK SEEDS
These tiny, golden brown seeds have a lot of magical properties and qualities. It consists of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. These properties help you to tide through these irritating spells that are triggered by sinusitis.
How to use :
- Take one teaspoon of roasted fenugreek seeds.
- Infuse then with one cup of hot water.
- Make a tea out of it.
- Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Strain this tea and drink it, sip by sip, while it is still warm.
- Drinking this tea will help you in getting rid of swollen sinuses.
- You can also add a little honey to it because plain fenugreek tea tastes bitter.