Breast pain is extremely common in different women of all ages. Having painful, sore or tender breasts can happen to cause a lot of anxiety. But just like that, pain in the breasts isn’t usually a sign of breast cancer.
Many women have shared that they experience breast pain as part of their normal menstrual cycle (periods). This is called cyclical breast pain. Pain in the breast that is known to last long and which is not related to periods is known as non – cyclical breast pain.
Sometimes we feel that a particular kind of pain is coming from the breast but in actuality, it is coming from somewhere else, such as a pulled muscle in the chest. This is known as chest wall pain. Many women have complained that they feel discomfort and lumpiness in both breasts, around a week or so before their period. The pain tends to vary from mild to severe, and the breasts can also become tender and sore to touch. You may experience heaviness or a weird kind of tenderness, a burning, prickling or stabbing pain, or a feeling of tightness in your breasts. The pain is usually said to affect both breasts but it can also affect just one breast. It might also spread up to the armpit, down the arm, and to the shoulder blade.
Cyclical breast pain is usually linked to the changing hormone levels during the menstrual cycle. The pain often goes away once a period starts. In some women, this kind of pain tends to go away by itself, but it can also come back. This type of pain usually tends to stop after the menopause. Studies have found out that women taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can also have breast pain.
Breast pain can also be caused when one starts taking contraceptive pills or changes their method of contraception that contains hormones.
CAUSES OF BREAST TENDERNESS:
Sometimes, it does not feel possible to identify the exact reason that causes breast pain. Contributing factors may include one or more of the following:
- Reproductive hormones: Cyclic breast pain seems to have a very strong link to hormones as well as the monthly menstrual cycle. Cyclic breast pain is often said to decrease or disappear with pregnancy or menopause.
- Breast structure: Non-cyclic breast pain is often the result of changes that occur in the milk ducts or milk glands. This can result in developing breast cysts. Breast trauma that occurs prior to getting breast surgery or other factors localized to the breast can lead to breast pain. Breast pain does not only exists inside the breast but it may also start outside the breast — in the chest wall, muscles, joints or heart, for example, and go on to radiate to the breast.
- Fatty acid imbalance: This basically refers to an imbalance of fatty acids within the cells that might affect the sensitivity of breast tissue to circulating hormones.
- Medication use: Certain hormonal medications that might include some infertility treatments and oral birth control pills are said to be associated with breast pain. Also, breast tenderness is a very possible side effect of estrogen and progesterone hormone therapies that are mostly used after menopause. Breast pain may be associated with certain antidepressants, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants.
- Breast size: Women with comparatively large breasts tend to have non-cyclic breast pain which is related to the size of their breasts. Neck, shoulder and back pain might usually accompany breast pain due to large breasts.
- Breast surgery: Breast pain that comes along with breast surgery and scar formation can sometimes linger even after incisions have healed.
HOME REMEDIES FOR BREAST TENDERNESS:
There are various remedies available to take down your breast tenderness. Let’s study more about them :
- SOYA :
Soya, in the form of soy milk or made into soybeans is quite beneficial for good breast health. These are a rich source of is flavone compounds that reduce tenderness of the breast. It is therefore highly recommended to increase the intake of soy products by females suffering from breast tenderness.
- CABBAGE LEAVES :
How to apply :
- Pluck out some cabbage leaves from a raw cabbage and apply it on your breasts.
- Cover them with some cotton or cloth.
- The leaves have the ability to help you get rid of the pain caused due to swollen breasts.
- WARM COMPRESS :
How to apply :
- Take some warm water.
- Soak a towel in it.
- Apply the soaked warm water towel on your breast for 10 to 15 minutes.
- This reduces breast tenderness and the pain associated with it.
- It does so by increasing the blood circulation in the breast.
- ICE PACK :
A cold compress or an ice pack should be used in case of injury. Ice packs are especially good for alleviating fibrocystic breasts as well.
How to apply :
- Take a few ice cubes and crush them.
- Take a clean cloth and place the crushed ice cubes into it.
- Wrap this ice pack around your tender breast.
- Massage your breasts softly with it.
- CHASTE BERRY :
One should include chaste berry in their daily diet sheet, as it is known to decrease both cramping and breast tenderness.
- REDUCE SALT INTAKE:
It is highly recommended that females who are suffering from breast tenderness should reduce their salt intake.
How to apply :
- Take one teaspoon of corn silk, one teaspoon of uva ursi and one teaspoon of buchu.
- Mix the three herbs together.
- Boil one and a half cup of water and immerse the herbs into it.
- Let it simmer and then later strain it out after 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drink this herbal tea to get relief from the breast tenderness.
- This herbal tea can be consumed daily.
- This decoction is known for decreasing the pain and tenderness in the breasts.
- FLAXSEED :
How to apply :
- Add one teaspoon of flaxseed to one glass of water and boil it.
- Brew a cup of tea and strain it after keeping it on simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drink this mixture to get relief.
- You can also add flaxseed to yogurt, juices or ice cream.
- The sole aim of the seed is to consume one spoon of it daily so that the tenderness can reduce quickly.
- HARMFUL DIET :
Food products like ice cream, chocolate, and soft drinks should be avoided as much as possible. Studies have found out that a reduction in your intake of caffeinated products such as coffee and tea are associated with a decrease in breast tenderness and pain.
- VITAMIN E :
These are some of the most known beneficial ingredients to have cured breast tenderness. Try this the next time you feel something is just not fine with your breasts. But do not ignore it to a greater extent. Do consult a doctor if you feel that the pain is increasing day by day. It’s very important.